Someday, Somewhere, Somehow*
My favorite song has always been "When I Fall in Love".
"When I fall in love, it will be forever."
Well, at 52 years old, it still hasn't happened...
"...Or I'll never fall in love."
Am I less of a person? Someone who doesn't deserve love? My heart and mind tell me "Yes". The fact that I have never been in love or been loved proves that.
I joke that my true love died in the Civil War. And he is waiting for me to join him in Heaven. But is he? Is there even a Heaven?
Dearest,
It is after midnight and I am at last free to speak to
you. Mother, Father and Flossie have grown
accustomed to my late night scribbling and have bid me goodnight. In my twenty-nine years I have been called
upon by several gentlemen, but you are the one who occupies my thoughts. Even though you are not real, you are more
dear to me than the man who has asked, just this night, for my hand in
marriage. I do not love him. To please Father I have tried. And sadly, I know I have a duty to obey and
must soon accept. But I ache for a love
that burns like fire and moonlight. I
speak with you in my mind and heart, if you only existed outside of them.
Goodnight Sweetheart, dream
of me.
(The Love Letter)
* song by Billy Ray Cyrus
* song by Billy Ray Cyrus


Comments
Post a Comment